In terms of hypnosis, there are 3 parts to our minds: the conscious mind, the subconscious (or unconscious) mind and the critical factor.
The conscious mind is responsible for:
- Short term memory
- Rationalising and analysing ( E.g I deserve that chocolate bar I just did a 5km run. )
- Willpower ( This is weak compared to our imaginations which lies in our subconscious. )
The subconscious mind is responsible for:
- Self protection ( Encourages behaviours that it believes are of benefit to you, even if you don’t agree. )
- Autonomic bodily processes ( E.g breathing, heart beating. )
- Imagination ( This wins over willpower when the two fight. )
- Long term memory ( All our memories are held here, though some are easier to access than others. )
The critical factor is responsible for:
- Guarding your subconscious mind from the conscious minds attempts to alter current behaviours and thoughts.
- Deciding whether to reject or accept thoughts and the things we hear. Are they in line with what the subconscious believes to be true?
The subconscious mind always acts with positive intention even if it may not appear that way. Over time we have trained our subconscious mind to believe that the thoughts, actions and emotions we exhibit are beneficial to us so it does it all it can to continue them. Your critical factor is the subconscious minds personal border control guard rejecting or accepting thoughts that fit with our way of being.
And what about hypnosis?
When you are in hypnosis you bypass the critical factor, accessing the subconscious mind and allowing you to give new suggestions to the subconscious mind and change its way of thinking. This can alter your behaviours, emotions, actions and thoughts and allow you to take control; achieve your goals. The power of your mind is phenomenal. Use The Power of Your Mind Clinical Hypnotherapy for your positive change today.
What is controlling you? Do you want to take back the power? Make a positive change in your life, it is time to access your subconscious potential. Contact Amy for more information or to book an appointment.
“If we did all the things we were capable of doing we would literally astound ourselves.” Thomas Edison
Clinical Hypnotherapy for Positive Change with The Power of Your Mind